Sunday, July 29, 2007

Things I Don't Like About The Strokes' YOLO Video

It took me forever to figure out, but YOLO stands for You Only Live Once. So, I hope I've helped clear things up for you. Anyway, here is what I don't like about that music video. (The first one, not the Traveling-to-a-Different-Planet one.)

1 - What are they doing in a sewer?

I know the Strokes can be dirty, but not THAT dirty. (Now that's comedy!)

Anyways, I know most music videos don't make any sense, and usually involve some random scantilly clad women dancing around, but this one is puzzling. There is no plausible explanation for why the Strokes are in a sewer (or at least, that's what I believe it is, and for the sake of argument, it is a sewer). Okay, lets say the Strokes are running low on cash, and collectively decide to take jobs at the New York City Sewage Department. One day, they decide the want to do a concert for all the other sewer workers. They get dressed in white and start playing "You Only Live Once". Then out of nowhere, this stuff starts coming out of the holes in the walls! The Strokes would rather die than not finish a song, so the keep on playing. The stuff is rising unusually fast, and they all drown.


2 - What is the "stuff" that they are drowning in?

Is it black water? Is it raw sewage? Is it oil?

I certainly hope it's not raw sewage.



3 - I don't like Nick Valensi's long hair.

Some people like it, some people don't. It reminds me of my Mom's wedding picture hair. And that's wrong. I do like Nick Valensi's guitar though. It's the same as my Dad's.

Or perhaps....

The Strokes got kidnapped, and someone put them in a windowless, doorless room, and began to fill it up with a mystery liquid, and then told them to play, and if they stopped, the kidnappers would kill their families.

Maybe that's it.