Friday, July 20, 2007

Nebraskan Mayhem!

My grand adventure started out as most grand aventures do - very boringly.

I arrived at the airport around 11:00ish, and I checked in my bag, and did the whole security thing, and said goodbye to my parents, and Wes. Which was quite sad, really. He's so cute. He cried when I left. After this is where I got a slightly confused. I walked along till I found my gate, C14, and noticed there were no seats. All those losers, and their kids had taken up residence in my seats! Injustice! So, I went and got a smoothie, thinking that some of the people would need to leave, and I could snag their seat. When I got back, some of the handicapped spots were open. Screw the crippled, I wanted to sit down. So I did. There were three empty seats next to me, and this business man came and sat down in the one farthest from me. Then his two other friends came over and started talking about silly business things. Like "she keeps micromanaging things that don't need to be micromanaged!" And other jargon. Then I decided to go to the bathroom. But those over sized gold cart things that shuttle people to different gates kept getting in my way. Actually, I was just sort of walking in the middle of the "road" (it's not a road, but I can't think of a better word) and they'd yell at me: "MISS! MOVE PLEASE!" And they'd have to yell that like, eight times before I heard them. And then everyone would look at me like: Stupid girl who doesn't know exactly what she's doing. Which was true. I didn't know quite what I was doing. Then, I boarded the plane, and my seat was 31-F, so I headed on over to the very back of the plane. I had the window seat, but ANOTHER business man had taken it! Foiled again! By Businessmen! Then he kind of looked at me and said "Oh. You have this seat." And I was thinking: "Obviously. Why would I be standing here if that wasn't my seat. It's not like I want to sit by you." So we did the awkward seat-change-shuffle thing, and I was good to go. Sort of. There was one thing that supremely bothered me about sitting in that seat: I didn't have my copy of the SkyMall. I love SkyMall. More than any aspect about flying in a plane. There are so many useless things. Like... hot dog cookers, and Buddha statues, and remote controlled sharks. WHO WOULDN'T WANT THOSE!?!?? So there I was. Sitting next to a grumpy businessman, with no SkyMall to keep me entertained. It was looking pretty bleak. I got out my "Guns Germs and Steel" book, and tried to read that. Ha, no. Not happening. Then I got out my iPod and listened to that for a while. Then I stared at the clouds. (are you jealous yet?) The flight attendant came around offering everyone their complementary drink. Mr. Businessman was all bothered because he had to move his arm to pass me my water. He gave me this look like: Curse you for being thirsty! I had to move 8 muscles for you! We landed in the city of Omaha at approximately 2:30. I followed everybody else to the baggage claim area, where I was greeted by my Grandma. We proceeded to wait for my luggage. When I acquired the suitcase, we walked outside so my Grandad could come get us. When I got in the car, my grandparents asked me what I wanted to do in Omaha (actually, I just wanted to go to their house) but nothing was open, so we just drove around for a while. We ate at Farmhouse Cafe, and our waitress kept getting lemonade and water confused. Then we started ourlong journey to North Platte, Nebraska. Which is five hours away from Omaha.

There's not much between Omaha and North Platte. There's a size able amount of semi trucks, about 10 Rest Areas, and a couple gas stations. And corn. And beans. And alfalfa. My Grandparents poitned out the difference between those three crops. Then the greatest thing ever, happened: I saw a semi truck that looked exactly like Optimus Prime! Flames and all. It was the exact shade of red, and blue. I'm pretty much convinced it was Opimus Prime. Shut up. I can dream, can't I?

After about five hours of excruciatingly boring driving. We arrived at the Pressnall Manor. Er, my Grandparent's house. I got my things. Stumbled into their backroom, fell on the bed, and fell asleep.