Monday, July 16, 2007

Official Review For Transformers

As I was reading through my blogs, I realized I had not done my Official Review For Transformers. It is as follows:

I walked into Transformers with unnecessarily low expectations. I figured it be some oddly represented, inaccurate, feature-length Waste Of Time. I was so wrong. The movie starts out strong: Blackout (a Decepticon) attacks a military base in Qatar in the first ten minutes. From there we transition to Sam Witwicky, who really wants a car, and a girlfriend. (Which won't fix all your problems, by the way.) His Dad helps him buy a used car, which turns out to be Bumblebee. Bumblebee had his voice box "damaged in battle" (direct quote from Optimus Prime) and has to talk through the radio. Sam soon realizes that his car is not the usual "I got it from the used car lot, and it came with a free steak dinner" car. It can (are you ready for this?) TRANSFORM! I know! Sam, understandably, freaks out upon learning this. However, Bumblebee saves them from some other Decepticon I can't remember the name of, and introduces him to Optimus Prime, Jazz, Ratchet, and Ironhide. Meanwhile, the Defense Department is in a pickle. Somebody is trying to hack their system. BUT WHO?!???!
A "comical" duo of hacker discover that it not a country that is hacking the government's system, but rather, other-worldly lifeforms. Optimus Prime tells Sam all about the All Spark Cube (a cube that can bring technology to life), Megatron (an exceptionally evil Decepticon, who wants the All Spark for ill intentions), and the importance of Sam's Grandfather's Glasses (the coordinates of the All Spark were accidentally etched into his glasses). Sam and the Autobots must go on a Quest for the All Spark, all the while, the Defense Department continues to learn what we already know. I'm not going to tell you the rest of the movie, because you need to see it. Oh, and that girl. I don't think she's important enough for me to include her.

The action sequences are glorious. Really. The plot is kind of unnecessary. I would be quite alright if there wasn't any plot. I mean, all the plot does is tie the action sequences together.
Opitmus Prime is as dignified and bad ass as I had imagined. (Except when he removes his mouth-plate thing to reveal his moth, he looks a little like a gorilla.)

There were only a few things that bothered me:
1) Ironhide was never hardcore in the series. Optimus Prime usually told him to go away and report back to Cybertron.
2) I really wanted Unicron to be involved.
3) That girl.
4) Scorponok is a Terrorcon, and the failed to mention that.

Other than that, it was spectacular.