Sunday, May 27, 2007

Misadventure #2

School is finally out. I haven't done anything productive. And I find myself in a perpetual state of tiredness. This is summer. And I like it.

Yesterday, to escape the premature onset of summer-boredom, Sarah, Gabbie and I went to go see Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End. (From here on abbreviated as POTC or "Pirates"). Now, what I find odd, is that I have seen exactly two commercials for it. You'd figure that a money-making movie such as that would have as many advertisements as possible. But no. So I walk into this movie, not really knowing what to expect. I was also hoping for an Order of the Phoenix trailer, but I was gravely disappointed. However, there was a Transformers trailer, which is almost as good. I love Optimus Prime. Anyways, the movie started rather morbidly. A little boy was being hanged. Then we make the "seamless" transition to Elizabeth Swan boating somewhere in Singapore. Then we meet Sao Feng, the evil Singaporean pirate warlord. Apparently, he has this map that was not very well explained, but I guess it led to wherever Jack was. Then they fight, and finally a Singaporean crew accompanies them to go save Jack. Now, it is never very well established where Jack actually is, but I assume he's in "Davey Jones' Locker", which is.... I don't know. Meanwhile, the East India Company has Davey Jones' heart, and are using it as "leverage" to make him do what the East India Company (EIC) wants. Then we have this "Pirate Brethren Court" thing meeting. and all the pirate lords are going to be there, and the EIC wants to know where it is. Okay, so we've got that, AND we learn that "Tia Dalma" who is that scary black lady with black lips, is Calypso, and that the Pirate Brethren bound her to human form. And she was in love with Davey Jones. And Will wants to rescue his Dad. And like, eighty other things.

Which leads me to the problem that I have with this movie. There are too many plot twists. It's like the writers were sitting in a room, and they all had ideas for what they wanted to happen in the movie, and they were all arguing about whose idea was better, and finally someone yelled "LET'S USE ALL OF THEM!" And so they did. This means there was no time to explain what was going on. It was just one thing after another. Not only that, but I don't speak pirate. So, even if they did explain it, I wouldn't have heard it. Also, everybody was double crossing everybody to the point where it was just silly. And then of course, we have Keith Richards, who played Jack's Dad. There really wasn't a reason for him being there. Like, they invented the part just so Mr. Richards would have a part. Which is dumb. He should stick to being old, snorting his fathers ashes, and just being Keith Richards. Not pretending to be a pirate.

And if that wasn't enough, at the end, there was a shameless segway to the FOURTH movie. I really thought this was it. I mean "At World's End". I just think it is time for this franchise to fade away. Sure, the next movie comes out in like 2010, which is when I graduate. And by that time, the whole Pirate-Craze will have died off.

Oh yeah, and Will is the new captain of the Dutchman after Davey Jones' dies.